Every day, families across the country have to make the painful decision of placing their loved ones in an assisted living facility. A move to a nursing home takes a huge emotional toll on a family under any circumstance. But when family members become victims of nursing home abuse and neglect, it can be absolutely devastating and traumatic.
Millions of seniors become victims of nursing home abuse and neglect every year, and some are completely incapable of reporting it. At the law firm of Salenger, Sack, Kimmel, and Bavaro, LLP, we care about your family and the rights of your loved ones. Our determined team of attorneys will diligently work to fight back against the professionals who participate in or allowed these despicable acts to occur and secure financial support to assist your family in finding a sense of closure for these tragedies.
What Is Medical Abuse & Neglect?
In addition to boarding and day-to-day care, nursing homes take on the responsibility of managing the medical needs of residents. Unfortunately, nursing homes often suffer from budget cuts, high turnover rates, and inadequately trained staff, which can lead to injuries, illnesses, and even death caused by negligence or errors.
Examples of medical negligence in a nursing home may include:
- Medication errors (prescribing, administering, dispensing drugs)
- Failure to check for adverse drug reactions
- Failure to provide prescribed medication on schedule
- Excessive use of medical restraints
- Staff who appear poorly trained or under-qualified for their position
- Failure to schedule or request doctor appointments
- Failure to refer to a specialist when needed
- Failure to properly monitor patients
- Ignoring medical complaints and concerns of residents
Most cases of elder abuse and medical neglect occur when patients are not properly supervised. A number of these cases affect individuals who are non-verbal, non-coherent, or unaware of what is going on. When you suspect your loved one could be a victim of medical abuse or neglect at their facility, contacting an attorney as soon as you become aware is essential for determining your legal rights.
How to Spot Abusive & Neglectful Homes
Employees who abuse or neglect the elderly may not always work alone. Unfortunately, if there is one case of abuse or neglect in a nursing home, chances are there are more to uncover.
These general signs may tip you off that there is a serious problem within an assisted living facility before seeing the physical signs of abuse or neglect:
- Staff refuses to allow visitors for unexplained reasons
- Staff limits visitation times for friends and family
- Staff refuses to allow visitors unsupervised time with their loved ones
- Staff makes rude or humiliating comments
- You notice frequent arguments between your loved one and the staff or caregiver
- Your loved one does not speak much when staff is in the room
- Your loved one is displaying unusual behavior out of character
- Your loved one has frequent complaints that do not seem to be resolved
- Your loved expresses a fear of being alone
What to Do When You Suspect Abuse or Neglect
You do not need to have definitive proof that negligence or abuse has occurred to report it.
If you suspect that your loved one is a victim of nursing abuse or neglect, here are the steps you can take:
- Remove your loved one from the facility immediately to prevent any more harm from being done
- Address any medical conditions and concerns resulting from the abuse and neglect with their doctor or emergency medical services
- Report the abuse by calling 911 if it is an emergency or the New York State Elder Abuse Hotline to make a report of the abuse/neglect anonymously
- Record all aspects of the abuse and neglect, including the facility name and staff members involved, as well as any injuries sustained
- Call an attorney who specializes in nursing home abuse and neglect to potentially file a claim against the facility and staff who allowed the abuse and neglect of your loved one
We Support Your Loved Ones
Negligence and abuse within nursing homes is a reality for too many New York families. With the utmost sensitivity and compassion for your situation, we will work with your family to determine who may be liable for your loved one’s injuries and what compensation you may be eligible for to pay for the damages suffered during this challenging time.
“I would highly recommend them due to the fact that during a difficult time, they made the process very straightforward with excellent results.” - Ciara L.
“I had them for a case that was very difficult this firm was the best very caring and concerned I was treated like family.” - Robbie J.
“Thanks to Jeff and SSKB Law we had a successful outcome and I know that wouldn’t have been possible with anyone else. I would highly recommend this law firm to anyone who needs representation.” - Chrissy B.