Hospital & ER Error Attorneys in New York
Knowledgeable Legal Guidance for Complex Medical Malpractice Cases
When you go to the hospital after sustaining an injury or illnesses, the goal is to leave the hospital in better condition than when you arrived. Unfortunately, some hospitals and medical centers are not as safe as they should be and can actually cause patients further injuries due to providing poor quality care.
When medical errors caused by hospital negligence cause you preventable harm, you could be eligible for compensation for pain and suffering and to cover the costs of your injuries. At the law firm of Salenger, Sack, Kimmel & Bavaro, LLP, our winning team of lawyers has been working with victims of hospital negligence for over 35 years. We have seen firsthand the trauma that these individuals face after falling victim to medical errors. We have secured hundreds of millions in rewards to help get them back on the road to recovery.
Hospital Errors Are Common
Medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the country, behind heart disease and cancer. The idea that medical errors often occur within a hospital setting is distressing for most people to think about, but we see these types of cases almost every day.
Common types of hospital errors that could be eligible for medical malpractice claims include:
- Blood clots
- Fall injuries
- Adverse drug events
- Surgical errors
- Anesthesia injuries
- Bed sores
- Pregnancy complications and birth defects
- Medication errors
Sustaining an additional infection, illness, or injury on top of the health condition that initially brought someone to the hospital can put patients at an elevated risk of long-term or permanent consequences. If you believe you or someone you love was a victim of hospital negligence, contact our experienced attorneys for the best possible outcome. Our attorneys possess the skills and knowledge needed to secure a successful settlement or take your case to a trial verdict to seek justice for the needless pain and suffering you have sustained.
What Causes Hospital Errors?
Every hospital has safety and medical protocols which the staff is required to follow in order to prevent and reduce injuries and illnesses. Medical errors most often occur when these procedures are not being followed, allowing preventable mistakes to harm and possibility even cause the death of unsuspecting patients.
Some of the most common types of medical errors stem from these root causes:
- Communication problems: Medical mistakes increase when staff is not on the same page regarding patient care. Performing unnecessary screenings, neglecting to perform proper screenings, medication errors, and mistakes preparing for surgeries and other medical procedures can all be linked to poor communication.
- Incomplete patient information: Patient information is collected to help avoid adverse reactions to treatments and devise the best possible plan for recovery. If the patient information is incorrect or incomplete, mistakes can have traumatic consequences.
- Technical errors: Technology errors can lead to massive complications when it comes to patient safety, particularly when medical devices fail during life-threatening procedures.
- Inadequate information flow: Information that needs to be transferred between facilities can leave room for error if the information is delayed, incorrect, or incomplete.
- Improper and inconsistent training: Not all staff are trained by the same people, which can lead to some staff receiving less effective training than other groups and increasing their chances for errors.
- Staffing issues: Hospitals frequently experience staffing shortages or rotating staff. Inconsistent staffing can create lapses in care for patients and increase the likelihood of medical mistakes.
- Inadequate policies: Sometimes staff are doing everything they can to follow the hospital protocols, but the polices themselves are insufficient in protecting patient health and safety.
- General neglect: Any time medical personnel neglect to provide the best quality of care, a patient’s life is put at risk. Errors that fall under this category include not cleaning up working areas, failing to follow protocols or safety procedures, skipping steps, putting off tasks or passing them off to unqualified medical staff, failing to complete patients’ records, or failing to read a patient’s records before treatments.
When medical errors occur because of these or other preventable factors, hospital staff can be held accountable. Our experienced team of attorneys at Salenger, Sack, Kimmel & Bavaro, LLP will investigate every aspect of your case to determine what caused your hospital injury and confirm whether staff negligence or oversight played a part. From examining all medical records, interviewing staff, and consulting with the top medical professionals on your condition, we possess the essential resources to bring your case to a favorable solution.
Seek Justice Now for Your Injuries
The statute of limitations for suing for incidents of hospital negligence is one of the most significant struggles patients face when choosing to file a claim. Don’t wait until it is too late. Let our winning team provide you with the care and compassion you deserve and allow us to stand up for your rights against the hospitals and medical institutions that caused you harm.
Contact Salenger, Sack, Kimmel & Bavaro, LLP today for a free consultation to review your case and explore your options for seeking justice against hospital negligence.