According to the New York Department of Transportation (DOT), motorcyclists are at a disproportionate risk of being severely injured or killed in crashes. Data have revealed that the fatal crash rate for motorcyclists in New York City is nearly twice as high as the fatal crash rate for other motorists.
If you were injured or your loved one was killed in a motorcycle accident on Long Island, in New York City, or any of the surrounding areas, reach out to our team at Salenger, Sack, Kimmel & Bavaro, LLP right away. You could be entitled to financial compensation for your damages, and our New York motorcycle accident lawyers can help.
We offer highly personalized and compassionate legal representation, as well as aggressive advocacy on behalf of our client’s rights. Our team has the necessary resources, skills, and experience to effectively pursue your case, even if that means going to trial to fight for the full and fair compensation you are owed.
The Importance of Legal Representation After a Crash
After a motorcycle accident, it is crucial to protect your rights and seek legal representation to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. Motorcycle accidents can result in serious injuries and extensive medical expenses, making it essential to have an experienced attorney by your side.
Here are some reasons why hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer is important:
- Knowledge and expertise: Our motorcycle accident lawyers have in-depth knowledge of personal injury law and understand the complexities of motorcycle accident cases. We will navigate through the legal process on your behalf, ensuring your rights are protected.
- Investigation and evidence gathering: We will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident, gathering crucial evidence such as accident reports, witness statements, and medical records. This evidence will help build a strong case and increase your chances of obtaining fair compensation.
- Negotiation with insurance companies: Dealing with insurance companies can be challenging, as they often try to minimize payouts. Our attorneys will handle all communication and negotiations with insurance companies, fighting for your rights and ensuring you receive the maximum compensation possible.
- Maximizing compensation: We will assess the full extent of your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and future medical needs. Our goal is to maximize your compensation, taking into account both current and future financial losses.
- Peace of mind: By hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer, you can focus on your recovery while we handle the legal aspects of your case. We will provide guidance and support throughout the process, giving you peace of mind during this challenging time.
Don't navigate the aftermath of a motorcycle accident alone. Contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation and learn how we can help protect your rights and fight for the compensation you deserve.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
Although there is a common misconception that motorcyclists are most often at fault for motorcycle accidents, we know that this is simply not true. In fact, it isn’t the recklessness of motorcyclists that causes most motorcycle collisions but, rather, the carelessness and negligence of other drivers on the road.
Specifically, some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Distracted driving, including texting
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Tailgating, or following too closely
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Failure to see motorcycles in vehicle blind spots
- Unsafe or illegal turns
- Unlawful passing
- Dangerous lane changes
- Opening a parked vehicle’s doors into a motorcyclist’s path
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Aggressive driving, reckless driving, and road rage
These and other unsafe driving behaviors can have devastating and even deadly consequences for motorcyclists. Other factors—such as road defects, potholes, poor roadway maintenance, and even inclement weather or nighttime driving, leading to reduced visibility—can all contribute to a serious motorcycle accident.
At Salenger, Sack, Kimmel & Bavaro, LLP, our attorneys work with accident reconstructionists, medical professionals, and other industry experts to determine exactly how the accident occurred, how our client’s injuries have affected his or her life, and who is liable.
Common Injuries Resulting from Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can result in severe injuries due to the lack of protection compared to other vehicles. It is crucial to understand the potential injuries you may face after a motorcycle accident and the importance of seeking legal representation to protect your rights.
Some common injuries resulting from motorcycle accidents include:
- Head and brain injuries: Brain injuries can have long-lasting effects and require extensive medical treatment.
- Spinal cord injuries: These injuries can lead to paralysis or permanent disability, affecting your quality of life.
- Broken bones and fractures: Motorcycle accidents often result in broken bones, which may require surgeries and prolonged rehabilitation.
- Road rash: Abrasions and lacerations caused by sliding on the road can lead to infections and scarring.
- Internal injuries: The impact of a motorcycle accident can cause internal bleeding, organ damage, or damage to vital organs.
At Salenger, Sack, Kimmel & Bavaro, LLP, our experienced motorcycle accident attorneys understand the devastating impact these injuries can have on your life. We are dedicated to helping you seek the compensation you deserve to cover medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Are Motorcycle Accidents Covered by No-Fault Insurance in New York?
Although New York is a no-fault state for car insurance, this does not apply to motorcycles. In other words, unlike car accidents, motorcycle accidents are not covered by no-fault insurance in New York. Instead, motorcycle accident claims are handled under a traditional, fault-based (or “tort”) system.
This means that a motorcycle accident victim must bring what is essentially a third-party claim against the at-fault party’s insurance company and/or a personal injury lawsuit directly against the at-fault driver to recover compensation for their damages. This involves determining the cause of the crash, as well as identifying the liable party.
Determining who was at fault for an accident can be difficult without the help of a skilled attorney. At Salenger, Sack, Kimmel & Bavaro, LLP, our New York motorcycle accident lawyers have extensive experience handling these types of claims and can provide the personalized guidance you need throughout the legal process.
We understand the immense stress you are under, as well as the physical, emotional, and financial challenges you are facing. Our goal is to help you navigate these challenges and fight for the maximum recovery you are owed so that you can heal and move forward with your life.
Compensation for Injured Motorcyclists
Motorcycle accidents frequently result in catastrophic, life-changing injuries. Victims are often hospitalized, and many will require extensive, ongoing care. In addition to weeks, months, or even years of lost wages and income, the cost of treating motorcycle accident-related injuries can be immense.
Our goal is to secure the full compensation you are owed for all of your economic and non-economic damages, such as:
- Emergency medical care costs
- Hospital and ambulance fees
- Copays and treatment costs
- Medications and medical devices
- Related medical expenses, including future care costs
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Mental health services, such as counseling
- Lost income and/or wages
- Loss of future expected earnings and benefits
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and anguish
In some cases, you may be entitled to punitive damages, which are intended to punish defendants for gross negligence or acts of malicious, willful, or wanton misconduct. Our attorneys are prepared to meticulously review your case and pursue all possible avenues of recovery on your behalf.
New York Motorcycle Accident Statue of Limitations
If you are injured in a motorcycle accident in New York City, don’t wait too long to take action. New York has a statute of limitations on when a claim must be filed if you or a loved one were involved in a motorcycle accident. Similar to car accidents, this statue of limitations is within three years of the accident date.
The New York motorcycle accident lawyers at Salenger, Sack, Kimmel & Bavaro, LLP are ready to help you get the compensation you deserve, so contact us for a free consultation today.
“I would highly recommend them due to the fact that during a difficult time, they made the process very straightforward with excellent results.” - Ciara L.
“I had them for a case that was very difficult this firm was the best very caring and concerned I was treated like family.” - Robbie J.
“Thanks to Jeff and SSKB Law we had a successful outcome and I know that wouldn’t have been possible with anyone else. I would highly recommend this law firm to anyone who needs representation.” - Chrissy B.