Semi-Truck, 18-Wheeler & Other Large Truck Accidents
Every year, collisions between large commercial trucks and smaller passenger vehicles result in the serious injury and death of thousands of people. These accidents tend to be far more devastating than the typical car accident, and victims are often left with severe, life-changing injuries that affect their ability to return to their once-normal lives.
If you were injured or if someone you love was tragically killed in a large truck accident, reach out to our team at Salenger, Sack, Kimmel & Bavaro, LLP for compassionate, personalized legal representation. Since 1985, our firm has represented individuals and families on Long Island and throughout the surrounding areas who have suffered immense tragedies and debilitating losses due to the carelessness, recklessness, and negligence of others. We have what it takes to go up against powerful trucking companies and their insurance providers—and these entities know that we are willing to take our clients’ cases to court. Our aggressive approach has helped us recover more than $1 billion on behalf of our clients; find out how our New York truck accident attorneys can help you.
What Are the Common Causes of Truck Accidents?
In any truck accident, there is often a wide range of contributing factors. Sometimes, the cause of a truck accident is obvious; in other instances, a thorough investigation is needed to determine what actually led to the crash. In any case, our team at Salenger, Sack, Kimmel & Bavaro, LLP evaluates all of the direct and proximate causes of an accident to determine exactly what happened and, most importantly, who was at fault.
Some of the most common causes of large truck accidents include:
- Truck driver error and/or negligence, such as speeding, distracted driving, traffic law violations, and driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Violations of state and/or federal hours-of-service regulations, leading to tired truck drivers and fatigued/drowsy driving
- Overloaded trucks and/or improperly loaded cargo or freight, leading to shifting cargo or freight during transit and loss of vehicle control
- Poor or improper truck maintenance, as well as failure to conduct routine maintenance inspections by truck drivers and other parties
- Trucking company negligence, including negligent hiring practices, inadequate training, pressure to violate hours-of-service regulations, and failure to discipline truck drivers
- Defective trucks and/or truck parts, such as truck tire blowouts, steering or braking system failure, electrical malfunctions, and engine component defects
- Defective roadways and/or improper roadway maintenance, resulting in unsafe blind curves, potholes, dangerous speed limits, and other hazards
These and other factors often lead to devastating truck accidents, catastrophic injuries, and fatalities. Sadly, statistics show that the occupants of passenger vehicles are the ones who are most likely to be significantly injured or killed in a collision with a semi-truck, 18-wheeler, big rig, tractor-trailer, or similar large commercial vehicle.
Who Is Liable for a Truck Accident?
Although New York follows a no-fault car insurance system, meaning you can recover compensation after an accident from your own insurance provider regardless of who was at fault for the crash, this system is limited. Victims of large truck accidents typically cannot recover enough compensation by filing a personal injury protection (PIP) or medical payments (MedPay) claim to cover the full cost of their damages. However, if you can prove that your injuries meet the state’s “serious injury” threshold, and you can establish the liability of another party, you could bring a third-party personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit.
Establishing liability often involves identifying the cause of the accident and proving that one or multiple parties were at fault.
Depending on the specific details of your situation, the at-fault party could be the:
- Truck driver
- Truck driver’s employer
- Trucking company,
- Company that owns or leases the truck
- Manufacturer of a defective truck or truck part
- Party responsible for loading cargo/freight
- Individual or entity responsible for truck maintenance or repairs
- Engineer or construction company that designed or built a defective roadway
In some cases, another motorist could even be partially or fully liable for your damages. Our New York truck accident lawyers at Salenger, Sack, Kimmel & Bavaro, LLP can review your case and determine whether you are eligible to file a third-party claim or lawsuit. If so, we can begin an immediate investigation into the cause of the collision and work to identify the liable party.
We often utilize the expertise of accident reconstructionists, medical professionals, and others to build powerful cases on behalf of our clients. We know how to demonstrate the extent of your injuries and related damages to the judge and/or jury in a clear, easy-to-understand manner. Most importantly, we are here to advocate for you at every turn, fighting for your maximum recovery and the justice you deserve.
Why Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer?
Navigating the aftermath of any motor vehicle accident can be difficult, but this is especially true of large truck accidents. There are many complicating factors, including issues involving liability, shared fault, comparative negligence, and catastrophic injuries. When you work with an experienced truck accident attorney, like ours at Salenger, Sack, Kimmel & Bavaro, LLP, you put yourself in the best possible position of securing a fair settlement or verdict.
Insurance companies know that we will not back down from a fight. Our reputation for aggressive client advocacy often aids us in securing favorable settlements for our clients without having to go to trial. However, if your case does proceed to trial, you can count on our team to prepare you and guide you every step of the way.
“I would highly recommend them due to the fact that during a difficult time, they made the process very straightforward with excellent results.” - Ciara L.
“I had them for a case that was very difficult this firm was the best very caring and concerned I was treated like family.” - Robbie J.
“Thanks to Jeff and SSKB Law we had a successful outcome and I know that wouldn’t have been possible with anyone else. I would highly recommend this law firm to anyone who needs representation.” - Chrissy B.