You shouldn’t have to worry about getting hurt when going to someone’s home or business. Unfortunately, hundreds of New Yorkers are injured every year from premise accidents and most of them are the result of property owner negligence and maintenance failures.
With millions of different properties in New York City and Long Island, premises accidents are bound to occur, but that doesn’t mean they are acceptable. At the law firm of Salenger, Sack, Kimmel & Bavaro, our lawyers have decades of experience in proving liability for premises accidents and in securing fair compensation to help get you back on your feet after an accident.
NYC And Long Island Laws For Premise Owners
All business and property owner in New York City and Long Island have a legal obligation to provide safe walking and operating surfaces for their visitors. Premises liability can involve several different scenarios, including:
- ceiling collapses
- falls on broken or poorly maintained stairways
- standing water or liquid spills that cause falls
- personal attacks from lapses in security
- electrocution injuries caused by faulty wiring and systems
- construction site accidents
- elevator and escalator malfunctioning accidents
- building code violations
- poor lighting that causes accidents
- slip, trip and fall accidents
These are just a few of the many types of premises injuries that can cause severe or life-altering injuries for an individual, and liability is not always easy to prove. Contacting an experienced personal injury attorney directly after your accident can help make sure your case is processed in an efficient and timely manner, significantly increasing your chances for a positive outcome.
When To Consider Filing a Claim
A number of victims are unsure about when or if they should contact an attorney after a premises accident. Though not all premises accidents are catastrophic or traumatic in nature, that doesn’t make them any less painful or important. Common injuries resulting these types of accidents include:
- electrical shocks
- fractures or broken bones
- head and neck injuries
- spinal cord injuries
If you are unsure as to whether you have a case after your premises accident, consulting with an experienced premises liability attorney can be extremely reassuring. Providing a free consultation to all potential clients, our team will be able to review the details of your accident to determine if you have an eligible claim and help you gather the remaining evidence needed to ensure a successful outcome.
What To Do After Your Accident
There is a period of uncertainty between when a victim is injured and when he or she decides to pursue a premises liability claim. The circumstances can be overwhelming, especially when determining what to do next. Following these steps after your accident can be extremely beneficial to securing a favorable result:
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention: Your health comes first. Making sure you attend to all your immediate medical needs is the first step before worrying about any possible legal action down the road.
- Report the Accident: When you are healthy enough, report your accident to the manager, supervisor or owner of the premises you were injured on. Insist that a written report be filed and request a copy of the report for your records.
- Document Your Accident History: You should make written accounts of all details in your accident, including contact information for witnesses who could help prove that the property owner was responsible.
- Remain Quiet: Do not broadcast your accident on social media or make public statements or complaints that can be used against you in your case.
- Contact An Attorney: When taking legal action after your accident, contact an attorney who concentrates their practice in the area of personal injury and premises liability in order to give your case a significant advantage.
Let Us Support You
Sustaining an injury is stressful enough without having to worry about proving who was at fault. Let our team provide the compassion and support you deserve after an accident by fighting back for your legal rights to safety.
We will work tirelessly to build a strong case by gathering evidence from the scene of the accident, collecting witness statements, and seeking expert advice from top professionals to secure you the best possible result for any damages suffered. Contact the law firm of Salenger, Sack, Kimmel & Bavaro today for a free consultation to review your case and explore your options in seeking compensation for your injuries.