Mass Transit Accidents
New York City has one of the biggest and busiest populations in the world, so it’s only natural that it has one of the largest networks of public transportation to go with it. Nearly half of the city’s residents do not even own a vehicle, relying solely on mass transit for their daily commutes and personal endeavors.
Unfortunately, it is no secret that NYC’s transit system is crumbling and taking a ride can also mean putting your safety at risk. At the law firm of Salenger, Sack, Kimmel & Bavaro, we have been successfully representing hundreds of victims who have been unnecessarily injured by modes of New York City transportation for nearly 35 years, securing the maximum compensation for damages sustained in their accidents.
We Advocate For All Victims
There are countless ways in which commuters sustain injuries using mass transit in the city that are caused by maintenance failures, negligence or reckless driving behaviors. We represent victims who are riding, boarding, exiting, waiting for, or who are involved in collision accidents with these New York City systems:
- Subway Accidents: New York City subways can be extremely dangerous due to crumbling infrastructure, lack of safety updates, and crowded platforms. We represent all people who are injured in the station, on the platform, and inside of the trains running on the New York City subway system.
- Bus Accidents: Bus drivers in a hurry on their routes can become easily distracted and dangerous on the roads. We represent multiple victims of bus accidents involving MTA buses and New York City buses, including collisions with pedestrians, cyclists, motor vehicles, or passengers riding the bus who are injured in route.
- Train Accidents: Our team has handled accidents sustained on the Staten Island Railroad, Long Island Rail Road, Metro-North Railroad and AirTrain JFK. We support injury victims who are not only riding on the train or are injured at the station/on the platform, but people who are injured in motor vehicle collisions with trains crossing roads.
- Taxi Accidents: We have represented accident victims who have been injured in or by privately owned taxis, as well as cars participating in ride-sharing companies. These vehicles are some of the most rushed cars in NYC and use aggressive maneuvers that can cause serious accidents.
Our attorneys also have significant experience representing New York City transit workers and drivers who were injured on the job. We have stood head-to-head with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), the Port Authority, and other governmental entities to advocate for the victims of transit injuries in the aggressive way needed to secure successful results.
What Causes Mass Transit Accidents?
There are several circumstances contributing to mass transit accidents throughout New York City, such as:
- Poor Maintenance: This could involve not taking proper care inside the vehicles, trains, train cars, platforms, stations and any other aspect of the system.
- Mechanical Issues: Parts and systems that break and malfunction on trains, cars, and buses that cause accidents to occur.
- Operator Error: Drivers of mass transit systems can easily be negatively influenced by distracted, drowsy, drunk, or drugged driving.
- Unsafe Riding Conditions: Unsafe conditions can include both weather hazards and failure to provide proper safety measures such as warnings and lighting.
When examining your case, our expert attorneys will determine which factor(s) may have contributed to your injury in order to hold those at fault accountable for their actions. We understand the laws and policies mass transit systems and employees are supposed to adhere to in providing safe transport services and can utilize them to maximize rewards to help you recover financially from your accident.
Knowing The Law To Maximize Compensation
If you’ve been injured in an accident involving a mass transit system, the thought of filing a lawsuit against such a large institution can be intimidating. Unfortunately, hesitating to contact a lawyer about filing a claim can mean losing out on the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Victims of mass transit accidents in New York City only have a 90-day window to file a claim. Knowing the statute of limitations is so short, we work quickly and efficiently to process all aspects of your case timely. Investigating the scene of the accident as soon as possible is priceless when it comes to the success of your case and can easily be done by calling us soon after your accident occurs.
We Stand Up For Your Commuter Rights
Our New York City mass transit attorneys are extremely knowledgeable about the requirements needed to secure the most positive outcome after your accident. Contact the law firm of Salenger, Sack, Kimmel & Bavaro today for a free consultation to review your case and explore your options in seeking fair compensation for your injuries.